* Uses the newly launched brand characters of well-known mainly music, and newly launched mainly play, in a story about a game of hide and seek.
* Clear educational outcome of engaging with direction - high/low, in front/behind, over/under and more.
* Repetitive text (that will not only please parent readers!) loved by pre-school children.
* Hide and seek `ball' on every page for children to view.
* Brightly coloured illustrations encouraging additional interaction between parent and child.
* mainly music sessions have been operating throughout New Zealand for 27+ years, throughout Australia for 12+ years, and throughout the UK for 5+ years. This is a brand known within the preschool market, encouraging families to participate in fun, facilitated music sessions, where children are learning and families are finding friendship and community.
On mainlymusic.org website.
In quarterly newsletters to families who attend sessions.
"After founding the mainly music organisation in New Zealand in 1990 and then more recently releasing mainly play as a joy-filled play curriculum, I've been keen to see material that supports the key developmental learnings required for young children who attend our sessions with their parents and caregivers. I'm a huge reader and have made books a part of my now grown children's lives and am commencing that journey again with my first grandson. The easiest way to realise a dream is to do it yourself! And so the first in the series of Elephant and Penguin has begun.
More recently, I gave a copy of Hide and Seek to a four year old energetic boy, whose older sister told me to not expect Samuelu to sit still for the reading of this story. Five readings back-to-back later, Samuelu was entering into the story parroting, "Where is the ball?" at the end of every page and using his finger to find where Elephant and Penguin were in terms of direction, and the location of the ball on the colourful pages.